Jan 8, 2010

Never Stop Dreaming by Shiela Stewart

Never Stop Dreaming

So you heard me rant about my lack of work space now let me tell you about my accomplishments despite my lack of office.

Four years ago I was a wife and mother of three with a dream. I had a wealth of stories written and plenty more begging to be released. Then my wonderful hubby helped me get the courage to look for a publisher. But let’s go back a few more years shall we to see how it all came to fruition.

When my children were little, my husband worked in a mine and his schedule took him away from home for an entire week, every other week. So I became both mom and part-time dad. While he was gone, I needed a release from my daily stress of being both mom and dad, raising three small children.

So I began writing. I had always written stories, but after getting married and having children, my time was a little limited. I wrote the occasional poem and stories for my kids, but my true love for writing was pushed to the backburner.

So when my hubby was gone and the kids were in bed, being lonely and stressed, I began writing the stories that were fighting for release inside my mind. What I wrote, however, was not always pretty and romantic. I wrote about possessed houses, ghosts coming back for revenge and innocent people being abducted and tortured. Some might say it was pent up frustrations that led to those stories, and that may be true, but these were the types of stories I had always written about. I loved a good suspenseful or scare the pants off me book.

For years I wrote the stories that popped into my head or came to me in my dreams. And as the children grew, so did my collection of tales. I often thought how great it would be to have others read my work, to have them published, but I never thought I was good enough. So I kept writing with a dream I didn’t see every become real.

Then four years ago, my husband decided it was time I looked into getting my work published. Again, I was hesitant but he pushed and pushed and finally contacted a local publisher to ask how I would go about submitting work. They sent me a book filled with publishers and their genre and so I began to look into it. Eager to get started, I began sending out manuscripts to publishers all over the world. And each time, received a rejection.

I was nearly about to give up when I found a writing contest on-line. I thought to myself, “I’ll submit a story to this contest but if it’s rejected, I’ll stop.” I figured it was the Gods or fate telling me I wasn't good enough. To my surprise, I received an email stating I was one of the top three candidates. It as the boost I needed and even though I didn’t win, it was enough to give me the confidence to submit more work. And again, to my surprise, one of my books was accepted and published.

Now let’s come back to the present.

Since that day when my first book was accepted and published, I have managed to write more than twenty books, and published fifteen. I have four stand-alone books, a series of three books and a series of eight books. Not bad for a person who didn’t think she was good enough to become a published author. So despite my lack of office space, or privacy to work, I have managed to crank out some pretty awesome books.

My dream now is to have my very own office, and like my dream of becoming published, I know someday it will come true.


***
Raised on a rural farm in Saskatchewan, Shiela Stewart relied on her vivid imagination to fill her days. Never did she realize that her need to tell a story would someday lead to becoming a published romance author. In the fall of two thousand and six, Shiela published her very first book and hasn’t stopped since.

When not writing, Shiela spends time with the love of her life, William and their three children. She has a strong affection for animals which is evident in the five cats, one dog, three turtles and ten fish she owns. Some of her passions aside from writing are drawing and painting and proudly displays her artwork in murals in her home.

Her favorite time of day is sunset and loves to stargaze.

Website: www.shielasbooks.ca


2 comments:

  1. I know about working without a adequate place to work, right now my desk is next to the dinning table. It was the only place to put it. Before that I set my word prosser on a shelf on a home made bookcase, and typed there.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice, thanks for stopping by.

    We do what we have to in order to create, don't we?

    ReplyDelete