Jan 7, 2010

Office Space Wanted by Shiela Stewart

Office Space Wanted

I am an author without a home. I am looking for a work space that I do not have to share with anyone else. Someplace I can go, shut the door and write until my heart’s content. A place that when the door is shut children know not to bother me and ask me what there is to eat, or can they have this or that, or ask me to side with them over their sibling in whatever fight they’ve gotten into this time. I need a spot that allows music to be played as I cannot work without it. I don’t need anything fancy, just something to call my own. If you have such a spot and would be willing to let me take it over, please, call me A.S.A.P.

Three years ago my husband and I sold our small 900 square foot house and bought a much bigger 1900 square foot, 4 bedroom split level home. I was overjoyed. It was huge, so much more room and…and…I would finally have an office. Yeah….that never happened. The way things were supposed to work out is that our oldest son, 19 at the time, would move out on his own. But…as life so often does, it threw us a curveball. The company my son was working for folded and left him out on the cold. What was I to do? I couldn’t push him out on his own without a job. So bye bye office. Sigh…

Okay, I thought. This isn’t a problem. All my children are older now, 13, 16 and 20, they’ll be away during the day and that will give me plenty of time to write. So I hunker down in the living room, laptop in hand and begin to work. Yeah…NOT! The kids come home for lunch and of course, ask me what they can eat. I tell them whatever they find is there’s and try to go back to the plot I was working on. Except…they click the TV on. AAHHHH… So I say, “Hello, working here.”

“Oh, right. Well, do you mind if I watch TV?”

I thought I had clued them in to the fact that no, watching TV right now was not a good idea. But at this point my thoughts are toasts so I give up and go make myself some lunch. An hour later I try to get back to work only to have my eldest son come up to ask what’s for lunch. Sigh…

I love my children dearly but sometimes I wish they understood that writing is not just a past time or something I dabble at. It is my work. So my wonderful and very supportive hubby suggests I try working in our bedroom. Okay, I can try that. So I buy a special chair complete with a drawer beneath the seat for my notes and so forth, he even makes a sign for the door that say’s, “Author at Work” For the most part, it works. The children knock on my door, ask if I’m busy. “Um…what does the door say? Author at work so yeah, busy.” But I’m a mom so I say, “not at all. What’s up?” And they reply, “What is there for lunch?” AAAHHHH!!!

But the children aren’t the only problem with me working in the bedroom. My hubby has a computer in there so occasionally he’ll go into the bedroom to play his games, which, are loud and always involve shooting, explosions or people shouting out orders. How am I supposed to work on a couple who are about to engage in sexual activity when someone is screaming, “Intruder to the left. Take him down.” It kind of ruins the mood. So I trudge out to the living room but someone is watching TV. Where else can I go?

Nowhere. This is my life and as flawed as it may be, I love it. And as crazy as things get, I still manage to create wonderful stories and even dedicate them to my hubby and children who, someday, might figure out, I NEED MY OWN SPACE.

***
Raised on a rural farm in Saskatchewan, Shiela Stewart relied on her vivid imagination to fill her days. Never did she realize that her need to tell a story would someday lead to becoming a published romance author. In the fall of two thousand and six, Shiela published her very first book and hasn’t stopped since.

When not writing, Shiela spends time with the love of her life, William and their three children. She has a strong affection for animals which is evident in the five cats, one dog, three turtles and ten fish she owns. Some of her passions aside from writing are drawing and painting and proudly displays her artwork in murals in her home.

Her favorite time of day is sunset and loves to stargaze.

Website: www.shielasbooks.ca


3 comments:

  1. My bedroom has the other half of it as my office. My kids never seem to understand that the door is not open when it's closed. My camper office is my quiet place to work, but no heat in it this year, so no using it.

    Faith
    www.faithbicknellbrown.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Faith, thanks for stopping by.

    Doesn't it suck when the kids just don't get that a closed door means we are at work. I've threatened my kids that one of these days I'm going to open the door to their knocking, naked. That should teach them that a closed door means DO NOT DISTRURB> LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a funny post, laughed all the way through it while reading it to my husband and son. This sounds like my house, although I do have a writing desk, a kitchen table and dining room table that I use, but otherwise the 3 TV's blare all day and the dogs bark and howl and the cat whines and walks across the computer. So, I feel for you. Good Luck on your writing.

    ReplyDelete