Feb 25, 2010

My Funky Little Writer Habits By Judi Moreo

I am an idea hoarder. I write my ideas on anything made of paper. Napkins, labels, church programs, edges of magazine pages, note pads, journals, cardboard....then I save up all these pieces of paper making file folder after file folder of the subject matter. I now have three file cabinets of ideas, articles, and notes on subjects from Attitude to Writing....I don't have any XYZ files yet. Only A-W.

Then when I have one of my “genius” ideas of what would make a great book or a great article, I get out one of the files (the one most related to the idea) and start reading all of the notes, which then need to be put into categories and/or outline form. If it is a book, I write what I perceive to be the easiest chapter first. Easy means I have the most notes made and it will take less work to get that one done. Then I do the next easiest one and the next. Before long the book is half finished and all that's left is the hard part, which doesn't seem hard now because the book is well on its way.

I like to write my chapters as stand alones, so when the reader picks up my books, they could open to any chapter, read that chapter and feel like they got an entire story from the one chapter. The chapters do build on one another to make a whole...but if the reader never read the whole book, they'd still get valuable information.

In my office where I write, I have paintings that I have done on the wall. I have them hanging there to remind myself that there was a time when I didn’t believe I could paint. So if I get stuck and don’t believe I can write, or don’t believe I can create something new, then I look at my paintings and remind myself that I can do whatever I put my mind to doing.



***

Judi Moreo
Judi Moreo is the author of nine books including her best selling, You Are More Than Enough: Every Woman’s Guide to Purpose, Passion, and Power, and its companion, Achievement Journal.

She is an award-winning businesswoman and motivational speaker. Her superb talent for customizing programs to meet organizational needs has gained her a prestigious following around the world. Her passion for living an extraordinary life is mirrored in her zeal for helping others realize their potential and achieve their goals. With her dynamic personality and style, she is an unforgettable speaker, inspiring motivator, and an exceptional life coach.

Life Choices

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see that Judi uses the same method I do where her writing is concerned! Judi is such a wonderful writer and person that to have her as my mentor is a privilege and I am very grateful to her for allowing me the opportunity to participate in her book. If I hadn't read her book "You Are More Than Enough" I probably would not have had the confidence to share my story.

    I highly recommend anything written by Judi!

    Vickie Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me second Vickie Lane's comments. Working with Judi on "Life Choices: Navigating Difficult Paths" has been such a pleasure. She is so professional in everything she does.

    When I was suffering the "Who am I to write a book (or anything)" crisis, her response was "You are more than enough." And that was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say enough, except to echo, all of the above. The first time I heard Judi speak was during her "You Are More Than Enough" book tour.
    I truly believe now that I am, thanks to Judi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Judi for this article and for being our inspiration. I enjoyed being part of Life Choices: Navigating Difficult Paths.

    I love your article, Judi! I keep notes, too, all the time. The only difference is that my files aren't alphabetized like yours. So, if it's alright by you, I will 'borrow' that idea from you.


    Songwriters also keep notes. We keep titles and ideas, lines we hear in conversations in restaurants or elevators, any idea, any word, photo or visual, anything at all that might be useful to us someday in the future. That's why we end up with files full of little pieces of paper.


    Every so often I go through the notes and put them into my computer onto a list of ideas. I have been keeping ideas on the computer since 1990.

    Unfortunately, the first computer I put them on was old and I saved all my files on a floppy disk, which later I couldn't read on the newer computers.

    I like the idea of 'stand alone' chapters or stories, too. I am discovering that more and more as I write.

    In my office I have my sculptures on pedestals and I brought my grand piano in, also. This way, if I get an idea for a song I can just walk over and play it.

    I love to have everything nearby so I can go from one thing to another. My artwork, music and writing all feed each other, even my dreams. I have written several songs from ideas in my dreams.

    Even my sculptures have inspired my dreams or visa versa. During the process of sculpting my Egyptian Princess I wrote down my dream one morning and it was eight pages long! It was the story of her and her brother and it started when they were children.

    So, yes, I agree, keep those ideas and return to them often.

    Thank you, Judi


    Sandy Kastel, Author Life Choices: Navigating Difficult Paths 'Detours'

    ReplyDelete