Jun 18, 2010

Completing the First Draft by Sherry D. Shumard

Well, I started writing my first novel a long time ago. I had an idea for my book based on my experience when I ran away from home at the age of sixteen years old. I bought a one-way ticket to Jekyll Island hoping to escape my bad life and to live on an island. In my first book the main character Miranda Wainright does escape her heartbroken life and move to an island. She is carrying with her a secret that she eventually tells to her new love interest Jake.

He is heartbroken also because his wife and baby were killed in a plane crash. Miranda thought that moving to Jakes Island would solve all her problems but it can also create other problems like someone from Jake’s past trying to kill her. She isn’t safe on the island. Her heart is guarded from her heartache due to a cheating ex-boyfriend and she isn’t sure if she can trust him with her heart.

The book was just an idea that I had started on and didn’t finish right away. It sat unfinished for a few years. I was so busy with trying to juggle college and having a family that the book was a far away dream. I didn’t know that I would ever have time to finish the first book.

When my life finally settled down a little bit, I decided to write some more on the book. I tried to be as accurate as I could so I wouldn’t have so many rewrites of the chapters. This process doesn’t work for everyone. Some authors just write down their ideas randomly and it can work for them. Whichever way works. I’m sure there are many writing styles out there.

Well, I was very excited to finally finish the story and have it published. It was an exciting sight to see because the publisher did an awesome job on the cover of the book. It was also exciting to see my name on the cover of the book. It gave me a great sense of accomplishment.

Then I decided to continue the story from the first novel and go from there. I started writing the first draft of Heartbroken Promises 2. I created a plot with the sister of the first book’s main character. Vicky Wainright decides to move to Jake’s Island to be close to her sister Miranda and of course, the island isn’t as safe as she thinks.

She goes missing along with the child that she is babysitting. In addition to that, her heart is torn between two men. One is Noah, her sister’s butler and the other is Jordan the brother of her sister’s new husband.

My advice to new writers is to never give up on your dream of becoming an author. It may take awhile to see the reality of it but with hard work and patience it will become a dream come true. To see your book title and the name on the cover of the book is a very rewarding experience. Also, to have others read your book is an awesome experience knowing you have contributed your literary talent for others to enjoy. Good luck to all!

***

***

I love to read and write books. I’m the published author of a series of books titled: Heartbroken Promises, Heartbroken Promises 2 and I’m currently working on Heartbroken Promises 3. The books are available on www.Amazon.com, www.booksamiilion.com, and www.bn.com just to name a few. I plan on writing many more books since I have a lot of ideas on what I want to write about. My dream is to someday soon see my books come to life as a movie or a television series-That would be great if it did happen. I’m married and have 3 children and 2 pets.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Life in the First Draft for letting me share my information about my romance/mystery novels. I'm so excited to be a published author and to share the passion and romance of the novels with my readers.

    Sherry D. Shumard
    Author of the Heartbroken Promises series

    ReplyDelete