Jul 28, 2010

The Race by Soren Paul Petrek

I am an impatient writer and like to think of the completion of the first draft like the first leg of a race. I want to know what happens. My ideas come all at once and I have to get them down on paper. I’ve written two novels now and have yet to attempt an outline.

I know many other writers use detailed outlines, notebooks of ideas and even picture of individuals that give them inspiration when describing their characters. That’s all in my head or comes to me as the story develops. The process of discovering new characters as I go along is important to my style and method of writing. I try to tie characters and events together as my notion of ‘what happens next’ solidifies in my mind.

The emotional aspect of my writing depends on this happenstance style. I can appreciate how other writers might map out a particularly engaging or difficult scene, but the emotions are much more real when they happen to the writer as well. I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, been frightened, angered, a whole range of experiences. It is what compels me to write the way that I do.

I’m confident some of the mechanics suffer as I forge ahead, but these can be fixed during the ongoing rewrite process. The loss of a good idea or characterization might get lost while I focus too directly on form instead of content.

I write to entertain, not to impress any reader with literary prowess. I want to be the author readers turn to when they want to escape into worlds of excitement, danger, tragedy and triumph. When I finish reading books like that, I feel that tiny sense of loss at the story coming to an end. Everyone who loves to read knows what I mean. I selfishly want my readers to feel those emotions too, but know that I’m still in the race to bring them more.

For more information, please visit me at my blogspot at: coldlonelycourage.blogspot.com

***



***



Soren Petrek is a practicing trial attorney with a passion for studying World War Two. He lived in France and England for years, listening to people's stories of personal sacrifice and struggle during the darkest years of the war. Cold Lonely Courage was inspired by the true story of a young Belgian woman who helped countless Jewish children escape from the terrors of the Nazi regime. Soren lives with his wife, Renee and sons, Max and Riley in central Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment