Aug 18, 2010

Author Kim Baccellia on Life in the First Draft

Life In the First Draft


I have to admit, my writing loft is pretty cool. You go up a spiral staircase and it’s tucked away from everywhere. I have a nice view outside too.



My writing room has a desk we purchased at Ikea and was a pain to get up the stairs. On my desk are a collection of writing books, paper, an egg timer(which I use to time myself), iPod(filled with music that goes with my novels), pens, critique papers, and some items that go with my books too. I have some Egyptian incense, some Muslim prayer beads, copies of my own books, and my own rescuer doll complete with her cross necklace.

Of course my laptop is there too. I named her Angelina because she’s red which signifies passion and imagination. So far Angelina has been good to me.



To the far right I have a huge whiteboard that I swear by. I outline my stories on this. This outline is for Cross the Line, the tentative title to the sequel to Crossed Out.



Some other things in my room include photos of my covers. The sketch is from the fab author Jackie Dolamore who drew a picture of my character Jordan from No Goddesses Allowed.

And to the other side are photos of characters that inspire me. Buffy of course! And Holly Golightly!

I used to keep copies of all my rejections. **If you look closely at my whiteboard you’ll see a running tally of the rejections to No Goddesses Allowed. I found though that having all the rejections covering my writing room only made me feel depressed. So I ended up filing them away.



And I have a nice view. Yes, hanging by the window are some query letters plus a letter from my writing mentor Joyce Sweeney regarding the opening to No Goddesses Allowed.

Every morning I’m in my writing room for at least a couple hours. During this time I try to get some writing in. I admit I also go on Twitter, which is a great social networking tool but can take away from my writing.

I love my writing loft. It’s nice to be able to get away and just be able to write.

***



***

Kim Baccellia has always been a sucker for the paranormal. She blames it on her families’ love for such things such as having picnics at cemeteries, visiting psychics, and reading her mother’s copies of the daily horoscope. She even had her own horoscope column in middle school, which was a big hit! Kim’s other works include the poem, “My Father”, which appears in the anthology Mind Mutations, published by The Sun Rising Press.

Her essay about the adoption of her son, Finally, Our Turn, appeared in Adoptive Families magazine. Her YA multicultural fantasy, Earrings of Ixtumea, is published by Virtual Tales and available now at Amazon. A member of SCBWI, Kim is currently writing the sequel to Crossed Out, her latest paranormal young adult fiction novel. She’s also putting the finishing touches on an upper MG fantasy No Goddesses Allowed. She lives in Southern California with her husband and son.

You can visit her website at www.kim-baccellia.com.

1 comment:

  1. What a great writing loft! Kim, who's the green frog?

    Good luck with writing CROSSED THE LINE. The outline looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete