Sep 17, 2010

Jello, Lancelot, Friends, Art, Tennis, and My Gray Hoodie by Daisy Jordan

I absolutely love my writing space, tucked in a corner of my apartment in Denver. It’s where I sit late into the night, totally submerged in the world of my books. It’s one of my favorite times of day and one of my favorite places.



The first thing I love about it is the fantastic city and mountain view from my huge window. Next is my computer desk. I’ve had the same desk for years, and it holds everything I could possibly need.

My desktop wallpaper on my computer screen is a collage I made of pictures of Gordon Beckham, my favorite baseball player. Hanging above the window (see photo below) is a picture of Friends, my favorite TV show. The six Friends are sitting on a beam above New York City, a location from which I draw much inspiration.



Also of utmost importance, to the left of my desk, you will see four sheets of paper taped to the wall. These are my current brackets for the US Open tennis tournament. One is mine and one is my brother’s. We fill out brackets for every Grand Slam, and my interest in tennis comes out quite a bit in my latest book, Love Means Zero! Above the brackets and the desk are two paintings, one of La Rambla in Barcelona and one of Samana in the Dominican Republic. I love art, and I buy paintings from local artists wherever I travel.

To the right of my monitor, there is a red and green object hanging from the shelf. This is an angel my aunt and uncle gave me with a quote from James Michener: “I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.” Behind that, on a pink piece of paper, I have another quote about writing that I like. Under my mousepad is a third. Also to the right of the monitor, on a shelf near the top of the desk, are a couple blue books and a notebook. These are my French books! I am currently re-studying French (I took it in high school and college), and I use some French in one of my upcoming novels.

On the back of my computer chair (which is really comfy!) is my gray hoodie. It is my favorite piece of clothing, and I love having it right there to throw on whenever needed.

Finally, at the bottom of the picture, you can see my cat Lancelot, who is lying on my laptop. Lancelot and my other cat, Jello, are frequently near me when I am writing, and they add a sense of serenity to the scene in the room. And of course, when I’m not writing in this room, I use my laptop!

All the things in my writing corner inspire me in some way, and I feel relaxed and happy when I sit down there. For me, that’s what helps produce good stories!

***



***



Daisy Jordan is an obsessive tennis fan and wrote this book so she could live out her dream-job fantasy through Hilton. Before deciding to write a book about the tennis tour, she wrote six other books, including Everything Happens for a Reason…, the Spin the Bottle series, and All That Sparkles Isn’t Real Sapphire. Even before that, she grew up in Indiana watching tennis all summer every summer on TV, and even attended a few pro tournaments. She now lives in Denver and religiously fills out brackets for every Grand Slam with her brother Josh.

You can visit her website at DaisyJordan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment