Sep 16, 2010

Want to know what’s going to happen in my next book? Don’t ask me…because I don’t know either!

My novels are cliffhangers. They’re all about the same characters, and until I’m finished writing about those characters, I have every intention of keeping readers guessing about their lives. :) But it’s not just the readers who are guessing and wondering. It’s me too. When I start a book, I rarely know what the ending point will be. I may know how far chronologically I want to take it, but I have no idea how the characters’ lives and relationships will have evolved by that point. And I don’t always end the book where I thought I would chronologically. This may be because an idea comes along and I absolutely have to keep going, or because I come to a point where I’m not ready to make a decision about what happens next for one or more characters.

The Spin the Bottle series has four books, one for each year of high school. When I started writing what would become Really Good Friends, the first book in the series, I intended for all four years of high school to be covered in one book. When I got about fifty pages in on Word and was still smack-dab in the middle of freshman year, I realized there was no way that was going to happen. In All That Sparkles Isn’t Real Sapphire, I knew it would end in the middle of junior year of college, right before Everything Happens for a Reason… starts. (I had already written Everything Happens for a Reason….) I had this great idea for a crazy shock-ending that included a wedding, but as I kept writing, it was clear Lorylyn, the main character, wasn’t in the right place emotionally for that shock-ending. So I still wrote about a wedding, but the very last pages have another surprise, and readers are left as torn and undecided as Lorylyn and I were.

In Love Means Zero, I had no planned chronological end point. Early in the book, Hilton celebrates her friends Hillary and Dirk’s engagement party, but it’s not a major focus. However, as a year went by and the wedding drew near, I realized it would be a perfect ending point for a couple reasons. It would bring together people who needed to see each other, and it was the perfect setup for my next book, another one about Lorylyn. While things are completely unresolved in Hilton’s life at the end of Love Means Zero, the biggest stunner for most readers, especially those who have read previous books, will be what happens to Lorylyn in the second-to-last scene. And for those dying to know what happens with Hilton – my mom and friends are always asking me, “Who is Hilton gonna end up with?!” – all I can say right now is, I’m publishing two other books before the next one about Hilton, and even if I wanted to tell you who she’s going to end up with – which I never would – I can’t, because I have no idea. :)


***



***



Daisy Jordan is an obsessive tennis fan and wrote this book so she could live out her dream-job fantasy through Hilton. Before deciding to write a book about the tennis tour, she wrote six other books, including Everything Happens for a Reason…, the Spin the Bottle series, and All That Sparkles Isn’t Real Sapphire. Even before that, she grew up in Indiana watching tennis all summer every summer on TV, and even attended a few pro tournaments. She now lives in Denver and religiously fills out brackets for every Grand Slam with her brother Josh.

You can visit her website at DaisyJordan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment