Oct 21, 2010

Heart First, Head Second by DCS

A famous writer once said, “First write with your heart, then write with your head.” I completely agree. I’m a stickler for research. I have some pretty deep concepts in the pages of my fiction, so I absolutely love delving into those topics. The problem is I don’t always remember the exact details of what I’ve read. So when I’m locked in the flow of writing I have taught myself not to interrupt myself. Instead of stopping I’ll just write or some variation. I have found that that little trick is sooo helpful. I will admit though, it took some getting use too.

I think some writers can relate to having that urge to fill in that important detail now, right now! But then we’ve lost our train of thought, and that fantastic rhythm we had going. My advice, don’t stop. Not until you run out of gas. Grit your teeth and bare the bumps. There’s no harm in coming back and filling in that random notation as soon as you’re done with your current paragraph or pages of pure creative genius. Just get them out first. And I’d recommend what I call, “fillers” entertaining and witty. Such as; or, .

It’s a neat little trick I tell you. And you can use it to “fill” names, dates, things you know suck right now that you want to make sure you come back to later, whatever. The point is that you’re letting your heart and your imagination have free reign first. Then turn on your inner editor and critic and turn it into sheer perfection. Heart first. Head second.


***



***

DCS was born in Alexandria, Virginia. She graduated high school in Huntersville, NC and attended the University of North Carolina at Charlotte intent on earning a degree in Political Science and becoming a lawyer.

She instead eventually turned to writing. DCS is currently attending the American Institute of Holistic Theology to earn her PhD in Metaphysical Spirituality.

You can also hear her live every Saturday evening on BlogTalkRadio’s In the Mind of DCS. Show starts at 7pm Central Standard Time.

Synarchy Book 2: The Ascension is her second novel, and four more are scheduled for release.

Synarchy Book 3: SVT and Synarchy Book 4: The Black Widow are the next in the series due out in 2011.

You can visit her website at TheMindofDCS.com

No comments:

Post a Comment