Nov 23, 2010

Characters Taking Over by Hazel Statham

If anyone had told me that a character could take over a book and make it his own, I would not have believed them. However, I would now have to admit that this did indeed happen. Dominic, Earl of Vale was a very strong character who just strode onto the page and more or less wrote the book himself. He was a fun character to write and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Dominic was so determined to tell his story that even though we vacationed in Orlando, he insisted I pay attention and continue with his story. It was hurricane season, the rain came in torrents and the trees outside our hotel room were horizontal. My husband slept and I wrote.

His is a fun story about an unconventional courtship and unbelievably needed little more than tweaking after the first draft. I have never been so fortunate again. THE PORTRAIT came very close to it, however, and again, the first draft proved quite satisfying with only minor changes being made thereafter.

I have been lucky and the stories continue to come. All my characters are dear to me and I have great pleasure in telling their stories. If some never get past the first draft, then so be it; they have been a joy to write.


***

***

Hazel Statham lives in England and has been writing on and off since she was fifteen. Initially she was influenced by Austen, the Bront√ęs, and Sabatini but when she turned seventeen, Georgette Heyer opened up the romance and elegance of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. She immediately knew she had found her eras and wanted nothing more than to re-create them in her work.

Her latest book is the Regency romance novel, The Portrait, released by Avalon Books in August 2010.

Hazel lives with her husband, Terry, and a beautiful Labrador named Mollie. Apart from writing, her other ruling passion is animals, and until recently she acted as treasurer for an organization that raised money for animal charities.

You can visit her online at www.hazel-statham.co.uk and her blog at http://hazelstatham.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. This has happened to me more than once. It's always exciting to see what they end up doing.

    Best of luck with your book, Hazel. It's a great one.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if the characters end up doing something entirely different from what we envisioned, they are always a joy to write. After all, it is their story and they know exactly where they want it to go. :-)

    Regards

    Hazel
    www.hazel-statham.co.uk

    ReplyDelete